Club History‎ > ‎

2010 Activities

All Ireland Club Championship

In the last edition (Clare GAA Yearbook 2009) we covered the exploits of Kilmurry Ibrickane Senior team’s adventures up to our visit to Dan Fraher’s field in Dungarvan County Waterford for the Munster Club Football semi final and a meeting with our adversaries from the 2004 Munster Club final Stradbally.   This visit to Waterford was seen at the time with some trepidation as it was our first competitive away match that incurred an overnight stay for both the team and many of the supporters.   Little did we know at the time that it was in preparation for an even greater adventure that took us to Ruislip and eventually to Croke Park on St. Patrick’s Day 2010.


Munster Club Semi Final

The Munster semi final game against Stradbally took place on 22nd November at Dungarvan. The elements were not kind; however our captain Enda Coughlan won the toss and availed of the wind advantage in the first half.   Noel Downes opened the scoring with a point from play.  Odhran O’Dwyer was on target for five first half frees with Enda Coughlan also getting on the score sheet.  This left the half time score at 7 point to two in our favour.   Stradbally reminiscent of 2004 final in Kilmallock were awarded a penalty late in the first half which went wide of Dermot O’Briens goalpost.    On the resumption Ian McInerney was first on the score sheet when he drilled a free into the strong breeze to extend our lead.   However Stradbally did rally and scored four points (three frees).   Ian McInerney closed the account with a free.  Final score was Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-9 Stradbally 0-6.     There were great scenes of celebration after the final whistle when the team and the mentors were cheered by the large group of supporters that made the long journey to Dungarvan.


Munster Club Final

The win in Dungarvan qualified us to contest our second Munster Club final in succession and our fourth in total. The final took place in the Gaelic Grounds Limerick on 6th December 2009 against the Kerry Champions Kerins O’Rahilly’s. The weather was very windy and the Kerry champions having won the toss availed of the wind assistance and raced into a three point lead. However Kilmurry Ibrickane refused to panic and lead by 4 point to three after 20 minutes. Kerins O'Rahillys were awarded a later first half free leaving the half time score at 4 points each.   Early in the second half Kerins O'Rahillys were down to 14 men when J. O'Connor was dismissed for a second yellow card. Scores were at a premium with Quill pushing O'Rahillys ahead with a free.   Shane Hickey then levelled, before Paul O'Connor fisted Kilmurry Ibrickane in front. Quill then equalised again from a free before Quills fisted goal from inside the square was disallowed.  Dermot O'Brien quickly took the free out. Mark Killeen won possession and a passing movement involving Ian McInerney & Noel Downes culminated in Evan Talty kicking the winner.   Incidentally Evan was awarded the Irish Independent Sports Star of the Week on 11th December while Darren Hickey was awarded the AIB Munster Club player of the year.    There were great scenes of celebration in the stadium when Enda Coughlan raised the Michael O’Connor Cup.   Following a brief stop in the Clare Inn the cavalcade of jubilant fans lead by the team bus travelled over the Barony Bridge and were met by greeted by bonfires and great numbers of supporters at The Hand, Mullagh and finally Pairc Naomh Mhuire.


All Ireland Club Championship Quarter Final

Our next game against Tir Chonaill Gaels in Ruislip on 24th January 2010 was a very historic occasion for both our club and in GAA history.  It was our first game outside of Ireland.  It was also the first game to be broadcast live by TG4 from outside of Ireland.   The trip to London will live in the memories of both the 500 or more supporters who made the long journey, and the many who watched the game from their homes for many years to come.   It was certainly a proud day to stand at the entrance to Ruislip GAA grounds in London on an overcast Sunday morning and watch the Kilmurry Ibrickane supporters arrive on foot by car, bus and of course the black taxi.  

 It was also an emotional day as we renewed acquaintances with our diaspora who live all over the United Kingdom.   The game itself was a low scoring battle.   Tir Chonaill Gaels opened the scoring with an early free, however Ian McInerney soon levelled with a free from an almost impossible angle.    Further points from Johnny Daly & Noel Downes nudged Kilmurry Ibrickane in front.  Half time score was Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-3 to 0-2.

The game remained a close encounter until mid way through the second half when Johnny Daly gained possession and blasted to the Tir Chonaill Gels net.  A further point from the Man of the Match Peter O’Dwyer completed our scoring.   Final score from Ruislip was Kilmurry Ibrickane 1-4; Tir Chonaill Gaels 0-3   Before we leave Ruislip, special mention must be made of Patrick “Butcher” McCarthy for organising accommodation and travelling for the huge number of supporters. 


All Ireland Club Championship Semi Final

The win in Ruislip set up an All Ireland Semi Final meeting with Portlaoise in the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick on 21st February 2010 at 2.30pm.    This was only the second time in our club’s history to contest the All Ireland Club Semi Final.   The previous one we contested was against Ballina Stephenites in Pearse Stadium Galway on 20th February 2005, with victory going to the men from Mayo.   However second time around on crisp sunny day in Limerick it was very different.    With Declan Callinan not eligible due to suspension Kilmurry Ibrickane were going into this game with some concern.   Michael O’Dwyer opened the scoring in the first minute when he collected the ball from a free by Enda Coughlan.   The free followed the dismissal of Portlaoise’s Brian Mulligan.     This was followed by points from Enda Coughlan and an Ian McInerney free, before Portlaoise got on the scoreboard from a free.   With Ian McInerney converting 2 more frees, Noel Downes scoring a brace of points, and Michael & Peter O’Dwyer also raising the white flags.   Kilmurry Ibrickane were in a commanding position at half time leading by 0-9 to 0-4.    In the opening five minutes of the second half Kilmurry Ibrickane stretched the lead with Michael O’Dwyer and a Johnny Daly free.   Mid way through the second half any hope of a comeback by Portlaoise is dealt a severe blow when the newly introduced substitute Mark McCarthy finds Noel Downes with a fisted pass and Noel rattles the net.   The great Kilmurry roar now echoes around the Mackey Stand.   Further points from an Ian McInerney 45, Johnny Daly and to the loudest of cheers Odhran O’Dwyer points from play help Kilmurry Ibrickane fulfil the dream of a place in the All Ireland Club Final on St. Patrick’s Day 2010.    Final score at the Gaelic Grounds Kilmurry Ibrickane 1-14, Portlaoise 0-8.


All Ireland Club Championship Final

I am sure it is the dream of every GAA club to see their team walk behind the Artane Boys Band on All Ireland Final day.   That dream became a reality for all of Kilmurry Ibrickane on St. Patrick’s Day 2010.   Leading up to the final all corners of the parish was bedecked with bunting and banners wishing support and good luck to the team and mentors.   All organisations, schools, businesses and individuals joined together to create a sea of red and green that covered the entire parish from the Hand to Clohaninchy and from Bealaclugga to Craggaknock.  I wish at this point to acknowledge the support we received from our neighbouring clubs who set aside any inter club rivalries and erected banners and sent us messages of good luck.    The departure of the team and mentors by bus from Quilty on 16th March 2010 was an event filled with emotion and expectation.   Hundreds were present to lend their support to the panel of players and backroom team.   While on the day in Croke Park the colour and support was everywhere to be found.    Many supporters again travelled from overseas, the UK, USA and beyond.    It was again a parish reunion unequalled in our history.   On the field of play it was a day when nothing went right.   St. Gall’s (Antrim) opened the scoring with a point.   Then inside the first minute we seemed the settle.   In a move involving Johnny Daly, with Declan Callinan finding Stephen Moloney who finished to the net at the Canal end goals.   However this was to be our only score until the 25th minute when Johnny Daly wins a free 30 metres from the St. Galls goal which he converts easily.   Half time score St. Galls 0-8, Kilmurry Ibrickane 1-1.

The second half continues in like manner to the first half.   All of 14 minutes elapse before Stephen Moloney collects the ball from Ian McInerney to register our opening score of the second period.   In the meantime St. Galls scored 3 points.     Further points from Michael O’Dwyer and Stephen Moloney closed the Kilmurry Ibrickane account.  Final score St. Galls 0-13, Kilmurry Ibrickane 1-4.  


The home coming on the 18th March from the All Ireland Final was also an emotionally charged event.   Again hundreds of supporters turned out at the Hand, Doonogan, Mullagh and Pairc Naomh Mhuire.    At Pairc Naomh Mhuire the Tulla Pipers lead the parade of  the team through Quilty where they were introduced to the large crowd by our own Marty Morrissey of RTE.     It was a tremendous occasion where the supporters showed their appreciation for a team that took us on a wonderful adventure.   It began in Ennistymon on 20th June 2009 when we played Ballyvaughan.  Then it was Cusack Park against Wolfe Tones, and Milltown where we completed our group games in the County Championship against Ennistymon.   Twelve games later that adventure concluded in Croke Park on St. Patrick’s Day 2010.   We are extremely proud of our players and our management team of Micháel McDermott, Martin Cahill and Gerard McCarthy.   They have given their supporters tremendous enjoyment in over the past few years.   We will remember them with pride.

Kilmurry Ibrickane 2010

Normally the start of activities in the year for any GAA club is the AGM.   However you will understand that our year overlapped somewhat due to our very historic and successful run in the All Ireland Club Championship.   This is dealt with comprehensively elsewhere in this publication.    For clarity I intend to use this section to update you all on our activities for the 2010 season.

We held our AGM in Mullagh Hall on Sunday 14th February 2010.   Our outgoing Secretary Anne Hickey did not seek election and Michael Considine was elected as our new Secretary.   Outgoing Secretary Anne Hickey was thanked by a number of speakers for her commitment and dedication during her tenure as Secretary. 


Our victory social was held at the Armada Hotel on Sunday 2nd May 2010.   Special guests on the night were the legendary Kerry footballers Tomás and Mark O’Shea.   Some 400 patrons attended to witness the historic presentation of O’Gorman Cup, Cusack Cup, County Championship and Munster Championship medals to our players.   A special presentation was made to the Management team of Micháel McDermott, Martin Cahill and Gerard McCarthy.   We are indeed indebted to them for the marvellous work they have done.    We must mention our MC for the night our own Marty Morrissey for arranging the presentation on such a professional manner.


Our Minor Club saw the election of a new chairman at its well attended AGM in Mullagh hall on Friday 29th January 2010.   The outgoing Chairman (Martin Lynch) changed roles; he is the Vice Chairman for 2010.   Martin Lynch was Chairman of the Minor Club for the past four years during which time the club has had a number of successes and also realized the formation of a coaching academy in the parish.   The new chairman is Patrick Murrihy.   Patrick who returns to the role after an absence of some ten years, is one of the most respected underage coaches in the GAA.


Off the field our dressing rooms in Pairc Naomh Mhuire have undergone a refurbishment, with the showers being extended and a new roof erected over the meeting room.



The Kilmurry Ibrickane Ladies G.A.A Club commenced activities with their AGM on Thursday 4th February 2010.  At a well attended meeting chaired by Deirdre Comber it was planned to field four teams for the 2010 season, namely U12, U14, U16 & Minors.  While both the Under 14s and Under 16s reached the final stages of their respective competitions, The most successful of these teams was the Under 12s.   They captured the County Final on 19th June 2010 in Coolmeen.   Their opponents were Doora-Barefield.   Trained by Diane Burke-Lahiff with team mentors Martina Moloney and Threse Doohan they won comfortably on a score of 8-5 to 0-3. In a repeat of last year (2009) they were the first team in 2010 to bring silverware to the parish of Kilmurry Ibrickane.   In the National Schools competition Quilty/Mullagh Girls' school team who won the Cumann na mBunscol Division 1B 11 aside final in Cusack Park on 20th October 20th 2010.  Guided by their teachers Connie Sexton and Lorraine O’Keeffe they beat Barefield N.S. on a score line of 6-2 to 4-3.    The panel of players included, Louise Sexton, Lauren McCarthy, Chloe Moloney, Nicole O'Doherty, Kiah Baker, Rebecca Doohan, Jackie Johannsen, Claudia Doohan, Danielle Coyne, Ciara McDonnell, Sharon Clancy, Amy Coyne and Sarah Moloney.


National Schools

In a repeat of 2009, Kilmurry Ibrickane national schools won the County National Schools final when they defeated Lissycasey/Ballynacally on a scoreline of 1-12 to 2-6.   Their path to the final included victories over Lisdonvarna/Doolin in round one,    Cooraclare in round two and a semi final meeting with Kilrush.   Congratulations to all involved and their trainer Michael Considine.


Under 10

Early in the summer we were beaten by a point in the semi-final of the Under 10 West Clare competition by Lissycasey having qualified from a group that included Miltown and Kilrush.   However we made up for this disappointing defeat by winning the Lissycasey tournament defeating Clondegad, Kilrush and the hosts in winning our first trophy of the summer.   We were also beaten in the shield final of our own Paddy Power Memorial tournament by a point, this time by Ennistymon.   The year finished on a real high, this culminated in retaining the Kilrush Canny Cup competition in September.   We topped a group that included Cooraclare and Shannon Gaels. In the semi-final we beat Kilrush which pitted us against O Curry’s/ N Eoin. In a very exciting final we came out on top on a score line of 2-6 to 1-7.

The Kilmurry Ibrickane under 10 Panel 2010 included Gary Monaghan, Diarmuid King, Adam Burke, Ethan Coughlan, Adam O Connor , Caolfhlin O Dea, Daniel Walsh, Damien Lynch, Eamon Hanrahan, David Sexton, Brendan Sexton , Alan Walsh, Conor McInerney, Jack Healy, Micheal Power, Aaron Mcgannon, David Montgomery, Mark Murrihy, Cian O Connor, Lohan Shields & Flan Cunningham while their Mentors were James Murrihy, Martin Lynch, Kevin Hanrahan, Thomas Sexton & Ciaran O’Dea.


Under 11

The Kilmurry Ibrickane U-11 team had another successful year by winning the West Clare Tournament in Cooraclare after beating Kilrush in the first round and hosts Cooraclare in the semi-final.   The Final against Kilmihil was played in heavy rain on the 30th of June 2010 in Cooraclare.   Despite going in at half time 8 points adrift of their opponents, Kilmurry Ibrickane staged a miraculous comeback by winning the game on a scoreline of 3-6 to 1-10.   The scorers were Dermot Coughlan 2-5, Daniel Walsh 1-0 and Paudie Murrihy 0-1. Team members were Michael Tuohy, Lauren McCarthy(Capt), David Sexton, Diarmuid King, Caolfhionn O'Dea, Dermot Coughlan, Conor Nugent, Maurice Donnellan, Danny Keavey, Daniel Walsh, Paudie Murrihy, Adam Burke, Damien Lynch, Conor Sexton and Ethan Coughlan,    The Team Mentors were Dermot Coughlan, Sylvester Nugent, Patrick McCarthy and Enda Coughlan.


Under 12

In what has been another Successful year for Kilmurry Ibrickane underage football, capturing the U-12 Division 2 title as well as the West Clare U-11 Title.   The U-12's came out of their group by beating Ennistymon, North Clare and Miltown.  In the Quarter final they beat Clooney-Quin, and North Clare in the semi final on a scoreline of 13 points to 8.   The Final against Kilmihil was played in Cusack Park on the 5th of July 2010.   Kilmurry Ibrickane emerged victorious on a scoreline of 1-10 to 2-4.   The scorers for Kilmurry Ibrickane were Dermot Coughlan 1-4, Paudie Murrihy 0-4, Conor Nugent 0-1 and Daniel Walsh 0-1.   Team Mentors were Dermot Coughlan, Patrick Mc Carthy, Sylvester Nugent and Enda Coughlan. Team Members were Cillain Flaherty, Emma Coughlan, James Sexton, Andrew Shannon, Niall Pilkington, Paudie Murrihy, Cillain O’Donoghue, Darragh Moloney, Paul Flynn, Conor Nugent, Lauren McCarthy, David Sexton, Michael Tuohy, Gary McMahon, Maurice Donnellan, Cillain McMahon, Adam Burke, Conor Sexton, Padraig Conway, Danny Keavey, Caolfhionn O'Dea, Daniel Walsh, Dermot Coughlan, Chloe Moloney (Capt), Diarmuid King, Jason McInerney, Damien Lynch, and Liam Reddan.


 Under 14

Under the guidance of Kevin Sexton, Pat Comber, David Galvin & Patrick Wickham Kilmurry Ibrickane under 14s commenced their playing activities at Gurteen on 28th March 2010 with a 2-4 to 1-3 win over Doora/Barefield in round 1 of the Feile.   A further 3-5 to 1-7 win over Ennistymon was enough to qualify for the Semi Final against Lissycasey.  The semi final was also in Gurteen on 11th April and Lissycasey ran out winners on a scoreline of 6-14 to 1-4.   However our progress in the under 14 Division 1 championship was not as successful.   We recorded one win against Doora/Barefield on 9th August.  Final score here was 6-12 to 6-9.    


Under 16

This year our under 16s contested the Division 2 competition.   In the first two rounds of the competition we recorded losses to both Doonbeg and the North Clare team.   Then a comprehensive 5-12 to 1-6 win over St. Breckan’s and a draw with Corofin allowed us to contest the Division 2 Shield Semi Final.   However we had to yield to a stronger Cratloe side in Lissycasey on 12th April.  Final score was Cratloe 4-13 to Kilmurry Ibrickane 3-5.   The under 16s mentors for 2010 were Kevin Sexton, Pat Comber, David Galvin & Patrick Wickham



Under the guidance of the management team comprising of Martin Lynch, Pat Sexton, Patrick O’Dwyer, Derrick Lynch & John Daly our minors recorded wins over Wolfe Tones, Cratloe, Eire Og, Clondegad and Doora/Barefield Followed by a draw to Ennistymon our minor team were qualified to contest the Minor A semi Final against Doora/Barefield.   Our first meeting in the semi final took place in Lissycasey on 16th October 2010.   Early pointed frees from  Niall Hickey and Seamus Lynch before a goal from Seamus Lynch left the scores at 1-2 to 0-2 at the end of the first quarter.  The second quarter saw a resurgence from Doora/Barefield when they scored 2 points while we replied with a Niall Hickey free.   Doora/Barefield started the second half by scoring four points on the trot, before Niall Hickey found the net with just nine minutes remaining on the clock.    Doora/Barefield managed to level matters with three minutes to go.  However some brilliant defending by Kilmurry Ibrickane meant that extra time was needed.   Full time score on the hour was Kilmurry Ibrickane 2-3, Doora/Barefield 0-9.   During each period of extra time both teams traded points to force a replay.  Final score after extra time Kilmurry Ibrickane 2-5, Doora/Barefield 0-11.   The replay took place a week later on 24th October 2010  at the same venue.    Doora Barefield started the stronger team and went into a 2 point lead.   Ryan O’Neill opened the Kilmurry Ibrickane  scoring with a point.   While there were many turning points in the game the awarding of two penalties to Kilmurry Ibrickane at the end of the 1st quarter which were not converted could be said to be the difference.   Kilmurry did go into the lead at the end of the first half.   Kilmurry Ibrickane extended that lead to 2 points early in the second half with a Seamus Lynch pointed free.  However Doora Barefield finished the much stronger team with four unanswered points in the final ten minutes.   Final Score was Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-7, Doora/Barefield 0-10


Under 21

Our Under 21 was managed by Patrick McCarthy while his selectors were Kevin Killeen and John Hickey.  The competition draw put is in a preliminary round with Kilrush.   The tie played in Cooraclare on 27th June resulted in Kilrush emerging victorious on a scoreline of 1-9 to 1-5.   All of the Kilmurry Ibrickane scores came from the boot of Mark McCarthy



Our Junior team was this year again managed by the dual performing player/manager Thomas Power ably assisted by his brother Finbar and Kevin Sexton.   Competing in Division 6 of the County League wins were recorded over Eire Og, Michael Cusack’s, Moy, Clarecastle, Cooraclare and Crusheen.   This resulted in promotion to Division 5 for next year and a place in the league semi final where our opponents were Crusheen.  However the outcome was in contrast to our earlier meeting with Crusheen winning the game on a scoreline of 0-6 to 0-1.

In the Junior B championship wins over Coolmeen, Clonboney and Parteen meant a place in the Quarter Final against The Banner in Ennistymon.   A 1-9 to 0-4 win over The Banner was enough to advance to the Semi Final in Miltown on 9th October.   However Cooraclare ran out winners on a final score of 1-8 to 0-8.



Our Intermediate team contested Division 4 of the County League.   Managed by Frankie Frawley with co selectors John O’Connor and Kevin Coughlan they had a very successful run in the league.   Wins over Milltown, Cooraclare, Coolmeen & Ennistymon in the round stages set up a meeting against Lissycasey in the Division 4 semi final.   This game took place in Cooraclare on 8th July 2010.   Both teams were evenly matched and the final score of 0-7 each proved this.  The replay was on 20th July with Kilmurry Ibrickane emerging victorious.   Final score was Kilmurry Ibrickane 1-11, Lissycasey 0-10.   The final was fixed for 4 days later (24th July) in Ennistymon and Corofin were the opponents.   However the busy calendar schedule took its toll and Corofin were the winners on a final score of 0-7 to 0-5.

In the Intermediate Championship round games we recorded a loss to St. Breckan’s and narrow win (2-7 to 2-6) to O’Callaghan’s Mills.   Our round 3 game against Corofin in Ennistymon on 21st August was crucial in that a win or a draw would mean qualification for the Quarter Finals.  However we lost on the narrowest of margins.   Final score was Kilmurry Ibrickane 1-7, Corofin 0-11.                                                                                                                                

O’Gorman Cup

Our participation in the O’Gorman Cup and the Cusack Cup was delayed because of our involvement in the All Ireland Club Final on St. Patrick’s Day.   Our senior team management was also in a transitional phase and I would like to take this opportunity thank Micháel McDermott, Martin Cahill and Gerard McCarthy for the unrivalled success they gave to Kilmurry Ibrickane GAA.   In future years when the history of our club is being compiled the reign of Micháel McDermott and his team will have a very special place.     We should also mention that Michael Considine, Gerard McCarthy and Martin Cahill who provided some continuity in the management of the senior team until the arrival of Martin Keavey and Sean Dempsey.    Our O’Gorman Cup campaign commenced in Ennistymon on 21st March where we recorded a win over the home side.    Further wins over Liscannor and Kilmihil meant a place in the Quarter Final against St. Breckan’s.   We were successful against St. Breckan’s only to bow out to Lissycasey after extra time in the Semi Final at Cooraclare on 1st June 2010.  Final Score was Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-12, Lissycasey 0-14.


Cusack Cup

In a similar situation to the O’Gorman Cup competition our fixtures were cramped due to our success in the All Ireland Club Championship up to 17th March.   Our Cusack Cup action started in Miltown on 8th April 2010.   Wins over Eire Og, Liscannor, Clondegad, Cooraclare and Shannon Gaels meant a semi Final meeting with Shannon Gaels in Kilmihil on 18th July 2010.   Played in wet conditions Shannon Gaels ran out winners on a final score of 2-9 to 0-10


Senior Championship

In the Senior Championship having won all our games at the group stages against Kilkee, Liscannor and Milltown, we qualified for a Quarter Final place against Cratloe in Cusack Park on Saturday 10th September 2010.   This was a an extremely tight game and we managed to pull through on a scoreline of 0-10 to 1-6.    We then renewed old rivalries with our neighbours Doonbeg in Cooraclare on 18th September.   This was a repeat of the 2009 semi final.   Same opposition, same venue, same winning margin.   Only one difference Doonbeg were the winners by the narrowest of margins.  Final score Doonbeg 1-6, Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-8.     Suffice to say that we are very proud of our players and what they have achieved in recent years.  Beidhmid ar ais Le Cunamh De.



Finally I would like to thank all the players, mentors, fellow officers and club members who gave of their time so generously during the year.   I would like to mention especially the Lotto committee of John Joe Ryan, Josie Coughlan & John Daly and Kevin Power, Patrick Galvin & Michael Talty and all the sellers.   To all our supporters and sponsors we say a sincere thank you for your help during a very busy 2010.   To the RSS and Patrick Wickham thank you for your co-operation in maintaining our facilities in excellent condition.   To our neighbouring clubs who provided training facilities during the inclement winter weather we are extremely grateful.   A special word of thanks to Margaret Killeen and Geraldine Coughlan for providing food at the training sessions and matches we hosted during the year.    To Christy Killeen and the Dublin based Friends of Clare GAA, The West Clare Boxing Club, PJ Murrihy and Michael Talty all of whom organised some very special fundraising events earlier this year and to the very many people who supported the events so generously we say a sincere thank you.